Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in the state of Colorado. I was divorced in 2013. I…

Customer Question
Hi. I live in the state...
Hi.
I live in the state of Colorado. I was divorced in 2013. I am currently receiving Alimony and Child support from my Ex. He informed me last week he is getting laid off from his job. What are my rights as far as him still paying me? The agreement states that the Alimony and Child support can be modified if there is a change in income...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/8/2016
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If your ex's income has been reduced or terminated, then he can file a motion to modify/reduce his support obligations (alimony and child support) until he gets a new job.

But, until he does that, then his obligation is the same to you and the child/ren.

Usually, the judge would grant him a temporary stay or reduction in his pay obligation until he gets a new job.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!