Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son has been unable to pay anything of s children couple…

Customer Question
My son has been unable...
My son has been unable to pay anything for support of his children for a couple years. He never had a lawyer to help him in court and the amount is illogical. Most of the time since, he has been unemployed. He moved back home to try to start his own business. I think it will succeed. He is on the verge of actually making money. So, several questions:
Is there a way to get the money owed dropped and then changed in time to something logical? He really wants to help support them.
When he moved out of his fiance's house, she would not permit him to get his things. Even with a police officer, she would not do it. Yet she wants it out. She wants $10,000 for it. Can she do that? Some of the hostage items are actually mine, not his.
He wants to be able to see his kids and love them. Can she refuse that? I would like to see them and love them, too.
He has Christmas presents, etc., for them that he has not been able to give to them. What can be done?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/8/2016
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 2 years ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello. My name is*****'m happy to help you. I will just need a couple of minutes to respond to your question. Bear with me as I type out the answer.

With respect to the amount of money that your son owes, I would encourage him to go to court to get that amount modified because it is extremely unlikely That's past amounts owed will be adjusted downward. That way if he goes to court now he can at least show what he makes now and argue that a change of circumstances warrants lowering his child support amount. And in the future if his business does end up being successful his ex can just take him back to court to attempt to get it adjusted upward. At least in the meantime he will oh less. she will likely argue that it's his own fault that he doesn't make any money and things like that but at least you can effectively try to stop the clock on the extreme amounts he now owes. Give me just a minute and I will respond to the next question.

It sounds like she is holding his possessions hostage. You, as his mom, may try to contact her but if she remains unreasonable you could sue her for the actual items or the value of those items civilly. I'd try to reason with her first ...

As far as loving his children - of course he should. If she doesn't give him access he can file a motion with the court for parenting time. As far as presents, if she is unwilling to facilitate any sort of relationship - which can include a parent giving presents to their child for special occasions - he may once again wish to consider filing a motion with the court. Even if he doesn't have an attorney he shouldn't give up. The courts have been increasingly making it easier for litigants to proceed pro se (without an attorney) and I would encourage him to do so, so he doesn't lose out on the relationship with his children that he clearly wants.

I hope I've answered your question. If you could please submit my rating I would appreciate it. We only get paid if the customer is satisfied AND submits a rating. If you need any additional assistance, I am available via chat and by phone as well.

Hi. I wanted to reach out again to confirm that I have answered your question yesterday. If you could please submit a rating if you are satisfied I would appreciate it. The only way we get credit is if the customer is satisfied AND also submits a rating. Please let me know if you need anything in the future. Best of luck.

Hi. Please let me know if you need any additional assistance; I'd be happy to help you. If you are satisfied, I would appreciate if you would take just a moment and submit a rating of three or more stars. We don't get credit for the time we spend assisting you unless you're satisfied AND ALSO submit a positive rating. I can of course continue to help you regarding this topic and clarify anything you have questions about.

Hi. Just a friendly reminder to please submit a rating if you are satisfied with my assistance. If you need any *additional* assistance I'd be happy to help you. I know there is a ton of information out there on the internet… and I hope you consider Just Answers a great resource for educational and helpful information. We don't get credit for the time we spend assisting you unless you're satisfied AND ALSO submit a positive rating. I can of course continue to help you regarding this topic and clarify anything you have questions about as well, so don’t feel as though we have to stop communicating if you require clarification even after you submit a positive rating.