Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have 50/50 custody. I found out through a CAD report that

Customer Question
a 911 call was made...
I have 50/50 custody. I found out through a CAD report that a 911 call was made from my ex home and disconnected. Police went out and found him breathing but unresponsive for 8 minutes. Called ambulance went to hospital. The CAD report calls it an attempted sucide but, I know one of the firemen who I can't disclosed told me it was over dose. The ex claims he can't remember anything. He also hides behind HIPPA law. He doesn't have any record of drugs because he stays under the radiar. But, the police are aware.
My children have to go there for his week visitation. He is clearly unstable. Would CPS be of any help? or what is my option
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
3/7/2016
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 1 year ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Kelly, I practice in New Jersey and New York but what I'm about to tell you applies to family law throughout the country. ANY time you are concerned about the safety of your children you should contact the family court; you may also contact CPS but definitely contact the court as well. Someone in the probation department should be able to help you but while you're waiting you may also wish to file an emergency motion (with the assistance of an attorney or pro se - on your own) to suspend visitation or to have supervised visitation at the court or police station. In this motion you can put that you're not sure if it was a suicide attempt or an overdose - but EITHER of these is sufficient to show that your ex may not presently be sufficiently capable of caring for children. If you don't have an attorney the court will direct you to the packet you can complete at the court to file your emergency motion. I wish you well; I know this isn't an easy situation to be in. If you need any additional information or I can be of further service, please don't hesitate to get in touch. Please rate the information I've given you below. That is the only way we get paid for the services we provide.

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. If you could please submit a rating when you get a moment I would appreciate it. We don't get paid unless the customer is satisfied and submits a rating.

Hi. I wanted to reach out again to confirm that I have answered your questions yesterday. If you could please submit a rating if you are satisfied I would appreciate it. The only way we get credit is if the customer is satisfied AND also submits a rating. Please let me know if you need anything in the future. Best of luck.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney