How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Olivia Kent Your Own Question
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 871
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Olivia Kent is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 50/50 custody. I found out through a CAD report that

Customer Question

I have 50/50 custody. I found out through a CAD report that a 911 call was made from my ex home and disconnected. Police went out and found him breathing but unresponsive for 8 minutes. Called ambulance went to hospital. The CAD report calls it an attempted sucide but, I know one of the firemen who I can't disclosed told me it was over dose. The ex claims he can't remember anything. He also hides behind HIPPA law. He doesn't have any record of drugs because he stays under the radiar. But, the police are aware.
My children have to go there for his week visitation. He is clearly unstable. Would CPS be of any help? or what is my option
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

Kelly, I practice in New Jersey and New York but what I'm about to tell you applies to family law throughout the country. ANY time you are concerned about the safety of your children you should contact the family court; you may also contact CPS but definitely contact the court as well. Someone in the probation department should be able to help you but while you're waiting you may also wish to file an emergency motion (with the assistance of an attorney or pro se - on your own) to suspend visitation or to have supervised visitation at the court or police station. In this motion you can put that you're not sure if it was a suicide attempt or an overdose - but EITHER of these is sufficient to show that your ex may not presently be sufficiently capable of caring for children. If you don't have an attorney the court will direct you to the packet you can complete at the court to file your emergency motion. I wish you well; I know this isn't an easy situation to be in. If you need any additional information or I can be of further service, please don't hesitate to get in touch. Please rate the information I've given you below. That is the only way we get paid for the services we provide.

Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. If you could please submit a rating when you get a moment I would appreciate it. We don't get paid unless the customer is satisfied and submits a rating.

Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I wanted to reach out again to confirm that I have answered your questions yesterday. If you could please submit a rating if you are satisfied I would appreciate it. The only way we get credit is if the customer is satisfied AND also submits a rating. Please let me know if you need anything in the future. Best of luck.

Related Family Law Questions