Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a disabled 7 year old son. s father will soon be

Customer Question
I have a disabled 7...
I have a disabled 7 year old son. His father will soon be released from prison with a felony assault charge. The child support order written while he was incarcerated placed no contact for his father while he was in prison. Does he legally have visitation rights upon release even with no comtact do to a prior family violence charge? Can I have legal liability if he is in contact with our son?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/6/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unless you get a new no contact order and custody order, he has a right to visitation and to make contact upon release. So, you need to go back to court again to get the order extended, which the court will do based on the family violence charge, to continue beyond his release from prison. If he has a family violence charge and you have good cause to believe he would still be a danger to your child, then the court can extend the no contact order.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer