Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

I have a child support agreement in which both parties agree

Customer Question

good evening: I have a child support agreement in which both parties agree to it, its on my decree and child support agreement and its a court order I have not missed a single child support payment am I protected under this court order or can any one change it
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

When it comes to child support, while the court encourages parties to agree to a number that is fair to both sides, the court also retains the right to review that amount at any time either by its own review or on the application of one of the parties to the agreement. The court will give great weight to the fact that you negotiated and agreed to this certain amount -- however, if the financial information does not support the amount of the child support (either too low or too high) and.or other circumstances have changed considerably since the agreement was entered into (if you get a higher paying job and contribute more or if you lose your job and must contribute less) then the court retains the right to change the support agreement entered into by the parties. Alimony/spousal support agreements will not be reviewed by a court once a divorce is final -- but the family court always maintains and retains jurisdiction over the children and the child support being paid and received and the agreement you entered into CAN be changed by order of the court.

-

I wish I could tell you something differently here, but I cannot. Child support is always retained as a jurisdiction of the family court. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time assisting you tonight. While I realize that the news may not be what you wanted to hear, I ask that you do not shoot the messenger (ME) and remember that I am tasked to do my job and tell you what the law is, whether favorable or not so favorable to any situation. Pressing a positive rating will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

-

MARY

Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

Can I answer any further questions for you on this matter? If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you? I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right in the ratings section. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

-

MARY