Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am interested in a divorce lawyer.

Customer Question
I am interested in a divorce lawyer.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/6/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good evening. Yes, it is possible that you can seek support. There are three types of Spousal Support

• Temporary – may be awarded for the period of time between filing for divorce and the courts final disposition in a case.
  • Short-Term – may be awarded if the court finds that one party needs assistance or compensation on a limited time basis.
  • Long-Term or Permanent – may be awarded if the equitable distribution of the marital assets requires it, usually in lengthy marriages.

When awarding it, it the court will consider the following criteria to decide on alimony in your case:

• Ability of the party seeking alimony to be self-supporting;
  • Time necessary for the party seeking alimony to gain sufficient education or training to enable that party to secure suitable employment;
  • Standard of living that the parties established during their marriage but giving consideration to the fact that there will be two households to maintain;
  • Duration of the marriage;
  • Circumstances which contributed to the estrangement of the parties;
  • Age of each party;
  • Physical and mental condition of each party;
  • Ability of the party from who alimony is sought to meet his or her needs while meeting the needs of the other party; and
  • Financial needs and financial resources of each party.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer