FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

I live in Alachua Cnty. In custody issue, daughter wants to

Customer Question

I live in Alachua Cnty. In custody issue for 17yrs, daughter wants to live with me. Judge won't here my Petition unless I have a lawyer sign I have a case. Weird?
How can I get my petion heard?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. That is weird. Do you know why the Judge is saying you must have an attorney?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because my x wife is Mayors wife? Because they think I file wrong? Because they don't like me? Because I've a crazy person? IDK

I have never heard of such a thing. As the father, you have a legal right to file a motion a modify custody and can ask the Judge to allow your daughter to live with you. You would need to show it is in her best interest and at 17, the Judge could even speak with her to see what her thoughts are and how she feels and why she wants to relocate. Below is the form which you can likely use, so review it to make sure you filed the proper motion

http://www.flcourts.org/core/fileparse.php/293/urlt/905a.pdf

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a follow ? The clerks office won't let me file, won't even receive my motion

My pleasure. Please just make sure when we are done, that you rate my help at the top, so the site gives me credit. If the clerk will not let you file, there has to be a reason why. It would be in the clerks system and you need to specifically ask them what the reason/basis is. The courts are open to the public, so unless the Judge issued an order, you should be able to. If not, then you would want and need to contact the Chief / Head Judge of the court, so this can be looked into. Moreover, you may need to appear in person and pull the court file to see what has been ordered by the Judge. The clerk can only act if ordered by the Judge, so I am inclined to be believe the Judge may have issued an order and you would want to know what it was and the basis, so you can respond and attack it.