How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Am I entitled to any money my husband placed in an ira in s

Customer Question

Am I entitled to any money my husband placed in an ira in his name only. I am on disability and he is retired but has around 400,00 dollars in the I r a I cannot remove any furniture because he owns it. We have been married for 6yrs I can't take his verbal abuse but have no place or money to leave.can u please give me some advice
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Unless you have a prenup that says the account is all your spouses, you probably have at least some claim on the IRA. If he started the account after you married, it's marital property. If you married after he opened the account but he contributed money to the account during the marriage, at least some of the assets are marital property. In a community property state, you are entitled to a 50 percent split of marital assets. In common-law states, the split doesn't have to be equal but it does have to be fair. So to answer your question, yes you are entitled to part of the IRA if it is considered marital property. That is also the same for all assets in the marriage, if they are marital assets you would have a right to a portion of them and most furniture in the house would probably be considered marital property.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?