Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I share joint custody with my X. This school year he's

Customer Question
Hi, I share joint custody...
Hi, I share joint custody with my X. This school year he's decided he doesn't have to pay for our 2 children's school lunches during his week. We do every other week time share. What do I need to file to have him understand that school lunches during his custody week is not part of his child support he pays?
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: I don't understand your response...
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I don't have the money to get a lawyer to have him pay R$50 a month for school lunches.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: I've been divorced 6 years. Until start of school this year, we had been splitting paying for our children's school lunches. Approximately $50 a child. At the end of the first month of school he has my 9 year old son call me crying because he has no lunch money and has to eat cheese sandwiches. I written several emails to my X about his responsibility for school lunches during his custody weeks. He knows I won't let my children be without lunches -- so he just responds that it's covered by the $199 a month he pays me in child support. I don't have funds to hire a lawyer to get my X to understand that child support does not cover school lunches during his custody week. Is there anything I can file pro se get my X to pay for school lunches during his custody week?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Family Lawyer responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/5/2016
Family Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

Unfortunately if the order is not explicit about school lunches then he is not necessarily obligated to pay for them. I think it is pretty ridiculous of him to do that but legally he is not required. You can file a motion to modify the child support order and ask the judge to modify the child support amount to account for the school lunches. You can do this pro se.

Family Lawyer: S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney replied 1 year ago
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney

Can you attach a copy of the child support order?

Please disregard my above post. I posted it in error and it will not let me delete it.

I am still here to assist.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer