How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2584
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm in the middle of a divorce. My ex is taking two of our 5

Customer Question

I'm in the middle of a divorce. My ex is taking two of our 5 children and I will have the youngest three. We're in the state of Arkansas. How does child support work in this case? He makes a significant amount of money compared to me and I was a stay at home mom for 10 years prior to getting a part time job, making minimum wage, just to get some free time. Do the two children he takes X out two of them I'm taking so he only has to pay support on one or does he pay child support on the three and I pay child support on the two and it's just deducted from what he'd owe for the three?
Thanks for you time
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 2 years ago.

Actually the judge would approach this in a number of ways. He may just settle on an amount owed that offsets each parties' child support obligation or he may order no support to avoid complications. I have seen different approaches. The parties can also agree to an amount or no amount and the judge will usually honor that.