How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The birth father of my granddaughter has not supports or

Customer Question

The birth father of my granddaughter has not supports or seen my granddaughter in 7 months. She's 10 months old. He is a meth addict. If this continues is there a time frame where it can be considered abandonment and his parental rights can be terminated?
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No we have very little money
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: How much will this cost?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: I will wait thanks anyway
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Generally, if the parent voluntarily fails to see his/her minor child for a period of greater than 12 month, providing, the parent was not prevented to visit with the child and did not attempt to see the child, then a Petition to Terminate Parental Rights based on Abandonment can be filed in the local family court and the judge will review the case and will decide whether to terminate parental rights of the biological parent based on abandonment.

It is important to consult and retain an experienced local family law / child custody attorney to help with the legal process in similar cases.

You can find an experienced and skilled local family law / child custody law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to family law / child custody law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it matter if his name is ***** ***** birth certificate?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

No. It would generally not matter if the father's name on the birth certificate, since it would be the same legal process as I have described.

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.