How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33564
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The issue is regarding my daughter. Well my mom is very

Customer Question

Hello my name is ***** ***** the issue is regarding my daughter.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well my mom is very upset with me and threatening to call CPS because one time I let my daughter play outside in our fenced yard and I was watching through the window but not physically outside with her. She claims this is neglect.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Family Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess my question is who is in the right
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

How old is your daughter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is two. And like I said I was watching at the door and this whole thing lasted about two minutes.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

Whether it is neglect or not depends on a lot of factors, like whether your yard is fenced, if there are any animals in it, etc. As an example, if you had left a two year old alone in the an unfenced yard with a busy street running alongside it or with a pit bull in the yard with the child then that might be neglect whereas if the yard was fenced and it was just a grass covered lawn it likely wouldn't be.

Two years old is usually a little young to be outside alone but if you were watching from the window that is different than just leaving them outside alone. Even if she does report you to CPS I doubt they would do anything unless it is somehow extra dangerous as I described above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The yard has a big fence around it and the dogs were inside at the time. I appreciate your help.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome.

Neglect is very fact intensive as far as CPS is concerned. What is neglect in some cases would not be with a small change in facts. I think that, based on what you've said, it's unlikely it would be considered neglect.

You do want to be careful when dealing with them since some of the CPS workers are a little overzealous.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can do to protect myself and my daughter?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

No, not really. You could hire a lawyer to send your mother a cease and desist letter and then, of course, don't do anything that your mother finds objectionable but that is losing a lot of your rights as a parent. You could also call and talk to CPS and see if they have a problem with it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your help so much. This has been super stressful as you can imagine.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome.

Yes, I've helped a large number of people over the years dealing with similar situations and it is always stressful for them.

Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I receive credit for my work.

Related Family Law Questions