Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What is involved in grandparent rights when DHS is involved?

Customer Question
How do we get them...
What is involved in grandparent rights when DHS is involved? How do we get them and what can we expect?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/4/2016
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Grandparents have visiting rights in the state of Oregon.

You must petition the Court to grant you visitation rights. The Court can only approve your petition if it is in the best interest of the child.

You can obtain petition form online or at the Courthouse in the County where the child resides.

http://courts.oregon.gov/OJD/courts/pages/index.aspx

The child currently lives with us(the grandparents) and his mother. DHS just allowed unsupervised visits with the father who beat my daughter in front of my grandson. He is supposed to be with this father (that he doesn't really know) from 8-4 today. What if they don't bring him back? There currently is no legal custody, is there any way that he can keep him since he would then have physical custody?

Thank you for the information. However, the father's right to visitation was not a part of your initial post regarding grandparents' rights. The policy of this site requires that you post your new issue regarding the father on a new thread.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law