LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

I have shared parenting, state of Ohio. Parents never

Customer Question

I have shared parenting, state of Ohio. Parents never married, neither are considered "residential parent in court order. Court order specifies alternating claiming dependent every other year, specifically says the exemption and all other tax credits. Does that include earned income credit as well.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Generally, only one person may claim all the child-related tax benefits for a child, including the dependency exemption, the child tax credit, the dependent care credit, the exclusion for dependent care benefits, head of household filing status, and the EITC.

So if it is alternating, one parent would claim everything one year, the other parent the other.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly
-Rate Positively-
This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!