Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in Boston and want to loan my car to my 17(almost 18)

Customer Question
year old grandson who lives...
I live in Boston and want to loan my car to my 17(almost 18) year old grandson who lives in Florida. How do I insure him and the vehicle?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/3/2016
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Is this a short or long term loan?

.

Is the vehicle currently insured?

.

.

thanks

From now to May 2017. He will go to college in Fall but won't take vehicle.I'm primary driver and it's fully insured.

Ok, then normally if it was a short term loan, you wouldn't need to do anything because he would automatically be covered under your insurance since you were loaning him the vehicle. This is considered a "license" and means that anyone you authorize to drive the vehicle would be covered.

.

But with this long a loan, it would probably be best to just add him as an authorized driver just to cover yourself if your insurer tried to claim you actually gifted him the car and were trying to get around adding him to the policy.

.

So you would need to contact your agent to see what you needed to do to add him as a formally covered driver.

.

.

thanks

Many thanks

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time. And it is better to be safe than sorry because insurance companies like to try to deny coverage for any reason that they can come up with in the event of a loss so best to take away one potential reason...

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks much