Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My child support case has been grossly mismanaged but the…

Customer Question
My child support case has...
My child support case has been grossly mismanaged but the OAG for 12 years now. There is more than 20k owed in arrearages by the non custodial parent and although I have provided them with more than adequate information regarding his location and employment there has been little to no effort to enforce the order. I have been told by numerous case workers at the OAGs office that my case is 'confusing' been 'pushed to the side' because it's been so badly mismanaged that no one wants to attempt to untangle whatever paperwork mess has been created or have their names associated with having worked on the case. I have exhausted all I know how to do in order to encourage the child support office to do their duty, with no success. I am interested in bringing a suit against the AG or at the very least taking some legal action that will require them to sort out whatever issues there are that make my case unenforceable, or impossible to resolve. Please advise.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/3/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
OAG is an overworked unit in collecting child support. They tend to try to push as much to the side as possible and generally take forever. Now, in this case where they are saying that they are confused and it has been mismanaged, what you have to do is file a motion for order to show cause for contempt against the non-custodial parent and also name the OAG as a party to the suit. In your suit you would be asking the court for an order for the arrears, suspension of driver's license of the NCP (if it has not already been done) and revocation of any passport (if it has not been done) and you would also ask for an order to the OAG to assist in pursuing collection and also an order of garnishment from the NCP employer and seizure of any bank accounts they have for satisfaction of the arrears.
Basically, you are going to have to take the action now in court and go directly after the NCP in addition to OAG for not acting to collect. You would do much better and have a much higher chance of success if you engage a local attorney to represent you on the contempt motion and it would speed up the process as well. If you win the contempt motion, the court can also make the NCP pay your attorney's fees as well.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer