How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2448
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible to file abuse against a parent who has been

Customer Question

Is it possible to file for domestic abuse against a parent who has been psychologically and emotionally abusive from childhood to the present day?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

Are you talking about getting a criminal case started, suing for money or getting a restraining order?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about the delayed response. I'm not sure what avenue I'm planning to take in relation to this case. I would like to talk to a family lawyer first.
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.
This would definitely not qualify for a criminal case. The most common action in such a case is a restraining order, but most states only allow for restraining orders when there has been physical abuse or a threat of physical abuse. In what state is this?

Related Family Law Questions