How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am recently separated. I was married years. I have a 7

Customer Question

I am recently separated. I was married for 10 years. I have a 7 year old son. We have come to a sort of agreement with our child, however I am not satisfied that my husband is keeping his end of the agreement. I want to discuss my options and see what the next steps should be.
Question 1) Drugs (Marijuana) have been a major part of my husband's life for a long time. I do not think that he is smoking now, but if joint custody is given, can random drug tests be required?
Question 2) My husband has been living with a friend for about a month. We have come to an agreement as far as the days we each have our child, but he is not insisting that homework be done when our child is with him. He also keeps him out at "arcades" (places that have games, but serve alcohol) out past 10pm on a regular basis. I am extremely frustrated with this and my child is now failing some of his classes because of it. He has missed school because he is tired and the nurse even called me and recommended that my child "get a good night's sleep." While I do not want to take my child away from my husband, I am at a loss for how to handle this situation. I am kind of thinking that an official letter from a lawyer telling him that homework, bedtime and hours that he must be home might help. But I just don't know if this is even a possibility. My child is my number one priority and I don't know what to do.
Thank you in advance for any insight you might be able to offer.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Were you represented by a local attorney in your separation or do you have a local attorney who can actually write a letter to put the husband on notice about the issues and to let him know that if the issues are not addressed and resolved, then the matter would be pursued through the local family court?