Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have prepared a list of all items I purchased and current

Customer Question
replacement cost. To attach to...
I have prepared a list of all items I purchased and current replacement cost. To attach to the JP court papers.I am marking replen on the form. But how do I list requesting $ for my x illegally locking me out of the residence?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/3/2016
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Please tell me what state and are you filing in small claims court?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I live in Delaware. Was in relationship 23 yrs. He lockede out no notice. He owned house I paid all bills.He refuses to give me my stuff

Thank you.

If you are suing for the value of your belongings in Small Claims court, you cannot seek "punitive damages" Punitive Damages are what you seek when you have been harmed say by the lock out and they are awarded as a punishment. As you asked me here

"...how do I list requesting $ for my x illegally locking me out of the residence?"

However, you can claim your Actual damages. Actual damages are what you are seeking for the value of your belongings. Once the court rules and the judgment is in your favor, he will then need to decide if he wants to return the property undamaged or pay the judgment for the value.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.

Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law