Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Are you familiar with the divorce laws of Iowa?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/2/2016
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.
I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What is your question regarding divorce in IA?

I figured each State has different laws that are followed
What is the likelihood that a man would have to pay alimony? In the case that I'm referring to, the man is on SSD and has a few livestock. The wife has her own job and brings in approx the same wage
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello. Your previous expert has opted out and I have opted in. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Likelihood - chances - are impossible to predict. They simply are. This is because alimony is based on a subjective formula of factors. This means that the decision is based on those factors, the Judge, and the parties. Every case is different. What one judge can order in one case, another one would order something different. It is luck of the draw and subjective nature.

What I can do is explain the factors and how they may apply. So you would have a better understanding of the situation and how to approach it. However, whether he would be ordered to pay alimony, for how long, and how much - this is unpredictable.

Is this acceptable?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law