How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102144
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having trouble finding an attorney to help with my

Customer Question

I am having trouble finding an attorney to help with my child support case in Minnesota. My child support is 1400.00 per month for one child gor one year of marriage. I was a stockbroker, however, after divorce, there were 3 crashes, lost my job, had a breakdown, and have been a waiter ever since. No moved to virginia because my siblings live there and we're trying to help. Virginia is taking me to court gor being behind. I am currently in North Carolina helping to take care of my 89 year old mom with dementia. My court date is in VA March 28. To reduce my 1400 per month, I have to go to Minnesota. However I can't find a attorney to represent me because I no longer live there. Could u give me any idea of what to do? Robert
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am very sorry to hear about this situation, Robert. Actually, it should not be that difficult. If you are not living in the state where the case is ongoing, someone in your situation still wants to find an attorney in that state. That attorney would then possibly file a Motion for Telephonic Hearing, asking the Court to accept your appearance via telephone/video.

Let me know if you need help finding counsel and in which state (MN or VA).

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u for reply. I would appreciate counsel in both states. By any chance, do u have referrals for legal aid for fathers in VA and MN? Because I am helping my mother in NC, would I need representation there? I am a resident there now? I
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Sure. I can try.

I can recommend three resources. First, here is a list of all pro bono work in the state of VA. And here it is for MN.

Finally, please find a state-wide list HERE.

Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.