Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have question I marry in Jordan, but when we came here she…

Customer Question
Hello, I have question I marry...
I have question I marry in Jordan, but when we came here she doesn't like here in USA so she went back to Jordan and we didn't record our married here in the county, So can I marry another women here in USA? and get marriage license?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/2/2016
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Just to clarify, you did not record your marriage in USA, or, in Jordan? Or neither? Is the marriage considered lawful in Jordan?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

I didn't record in USA just in Jordan, so the marriage lawful in Jordan..but I didn't went to county which I live to record my married?

Thank you.

USA recognizes a marriage as lawful without the need to register it anywhere. So you would be considered as married even without registering the marriage in USA, as long as the marriage was lawful in Jordan, and not entered under duress, fraud, and/or for someone who was underage or a polygamous marriage.

While your state may not know of the first marriage, it is still "legal." This means whatever marriage you enter into without first divorcing from your first marriage would be void ab initio meaning void from the beginning, and can be formally voided at ANY TIME.

So someone in your situation wants to divorce from the first marriage prior to marrying someone else.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law