Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Nursing home is in a civil suit against someone.

Customer Question
Administrator of home called me...
Nursing home is in a civil suit against someone. Administrator of home called me today, and asked if I will speak to their attorney. My name came up because it was in the medical chart. I'm a nurse. Should I cancel tomorrow that this is not in my best interest to meet their attorney alone? Thoughts...as far as I know, I am not being sued. I'd know. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/2/2016
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

What is your involvement in the case? Also, is your employer asking you to speak to its lawyer (are you employed by the nursing home)?

Hi Roger, since my name came up in the chart I'm assuming I was this patient's nurse. Don't know too much more details about the case. I was employed full time, worked with this nursing home 1 year, then went as needed and have not worked a shift for them in 6 months.
they are requesting I speak with their attorney tomorrow. Not my current employer. I'm full time somewhere else.
Hello Roger, has this helped?

Hi - I'm sorry, but my computer went down and I've just now gotten back up.

Ok. If you worked for this employer and they're asking you to speak with its lawyer (which would essentially be your lawyer too as you'd have protections as an employee under respondeat superior), it is likely nothing to be concerned with.

That said, if you face any issues or if you believe that the questions are getting too invasive or like they're trying to pin something on you, you can always stop the discussion and seek counsel.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks!

Roger, Attorney