How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118809
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a relationship 10 year, same sex. Do I have any rights

Customer Question

I got a relationship for over 10 year, same sex. Do I have any rights if the relationship ends for one of them with not an strong reason?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  11012014Jah replied 1 year ago.

I would like to be able to help you. But I may need more information. Can you be more specific about your request?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unless you were legally married or in a legal civil union, you being in a relationship (same sex or opposite sex does not matter) does not give you any rights other than to take your property you purchased and your personal property with you. You are not entitled to alimony or any support I am afraid.
If you were married or in a civil union, then you would have to file for divorce or dissolution and you would be entitled to an equitable division of your property acquired during the union/marriage and also possibly spousal support. But absent marriage/union you are no different than just dating and living together and that does not give you any rights upon break up.