How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34542
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can they take my social security child support witch was

Customer Question

Can they take my social security for back child support witch was actually paid but my ex wife lied to the state of Missouri and told them i abandoned them and she didn't know where i was and it was all lies and she said I never paid it is there any way I can fight the my son in question is living with me and his wife and my grandkids also and I'm supporting all of them and i also raised 2 kids that aren't my and i never received any money from there real dad who has been in prison for 30 years so how can they do this to me I'm not a dead beat dad i just want justice please see if you can help me I really need some professional help my name is ***** ***** west and all I have is my social securityto live on for the rest of my life thank youvery much im at the end of my rope and very close to ending things ig you know what I mean
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Sir, I am truly sorry to be the one to bear bad news. The law does garnishment of social security for child support (including back child support)

So it is possible for a court to order this.

Now...I understand that this is based on a lie from your ex. If she is lying about this, and it resulted in a court order, you could sue her to recover the money that is taken from you

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that the court can not garnish social security, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.