romaellelaw
romaellelaw, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  A FL licensed attorney and guardian ad litem for minors
63198330

My sister is not taking care of her children. I have already

Customer Question

My sister is not taking care of her children. I have already taken her oldest son in who is 21 yrs old. He has the mind set of a 10 yr old, was never taught any better. We got him in school to finish his high school diploma and helped him get a job which starts tomorrow. I just took my 82 yo grandmother in as well. She was staying with my mother in Charleston but she doesn't get along with my mother's husband and they got in a huge fight this past weekend so I took her home with me. My husband and I live paycheck to paycheck. We do not have a lot of money, My sister is married and her 3 other children stay with her but they go without basic needs. They have been evicted from homes in the past multiple times. They don't take care of their house and past homes have become unlivable. I have taken them all in before but once they get back on their feet slightly, their irresponsibility puts them back in dire situation and the kids suffer even more. My niece is crying out for hel
Category: Family Law
Expert:  romaellelaw replied 1 year ago.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

First of all, you should consider calling child protective services or DCF and report if you reasonably believe the child is being neglected or abused. You can also petition the court for temporary custody of the child and request that a Guardian ad Litem be appointed to investigate the issue and determine what is in the best interest of the child.

The Court will likely ask that your sister to series of things to try and rehabilitate herself and in the event she does not then at that point the situation would become more permanent and you can ask the court for her parental rights to be terminated.

I strongly recommend you hire a family or dependency/juvenile attorney to assist you with this process as it no easy task. Whether or not your requests will be granted is at the discretion of the judge based on the particular facts in your case.

May I ask what state you reside in? Does the child also reside there? I may be able to find other helpful information more specific to your jurisdiction.

Just following up....

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating.