How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34761
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I have been divorced years. We have 2 children, a

Customer Question

My ex and I have been divorced for 6 years. We have 2 children, a 17 yr old and an 11 year old. I struggle financially from month to month even with his $1358 child support. I have recently found out he has multiple rent houses that e has since acquired. Do I have any rights to a percentage of that income for child support?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma.

You do not automatically have a right to this income. HOWEVER, the court can consider this income when it determines the appropriate amount of support he pays each month. Specifically, if the $1358 was ordered and this income (the income from the rental properties) was not taken into consideration? You can go back to court and ask the court to reevaluate support based on this income.

You would need to have a local attorney prepare and present this to the Parish court where the divorce was granted

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.