How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have custody of my two daughters from the state of Rhode

Customer Question

I have custody of my two daughters from the state of Rhode Island in 2005. We have lived in Texas since then. Can I get the parenting plan modified in Texas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-chxou16a- replied 1 year ago.

Jurisdiction would need to be transferred to Texas. That is based off of a "home state" status, which is the State the children have been located in for the past 6 months. A request to transfer Texas would have to be submitted to the Rhode Island court and the court would have to release jurisdiction to Texas.