Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband and I have been together years, married. We have…

Customer Question
My husband and I have...
My husband and I have been together for 12 years, married for 6. We have one child.
We both worked up until 2011, he lost his job and I supported our family until he went to grad school, then he had a small income and I worked to support my husband and I while he went to grad school. The most i earned a year was 32,000k. My husband graduated grad school and got a job and I had our child and have been at home with him for about 3 years. My husband now makes over 400,000k a year. Am I entitled to alimony?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/29/2016
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

It appears you have a basis for some type of alimony/spousal maintenance - even if it would be on a temporary basis.

A court looks at the following factors to determine the duration and amount and you can read more at this LINK from the MO statutes on spousal maintenance/alimony

1 the financial resources of the dependent spouse, including any property awarded during divorce

2 the time necessary for the dependent spouse to obtain further education and training

3 each spouse’s earning capacity

4 the standard of living established during the marriage

5 the duration of the marriage

6 each spouse’s assets and debts

7 each spouse’s conduct during marriage. and

8 the age and physical and emotional condition of the spouse asking for support and the ability of the other spouse to provide that support.