Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Paying alimony years.. Married only 14 years.. How to stop…

Customer Question
Paying alimony for 20 years....
Paying alimony for 20 years.. Married only 14 years.. How to stop
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/29/2016
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Unless there was an agreement not to seek changes in court, a court can modify periodic alimony payments if either spouse can show that there's been a significant change in the circumstances that gave rise to the order.

For example, a significant change in circumstances would be if you lost your job or have been laid off or demoted - in other words your income has changed at no fault of your own. The other way to seek termination or modification is if the recipient spouse has remarried or if you can show they are cohabiting with another person who is significantly contributing to their financial well being. In turn that would mean they do not have as much a need for the alimony as when it was originally ordered.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.