Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I want a annulment from my husband, no, well ive been

Customer Question
I want a annulment...

I want a annulment from my husband

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.

Well ive been married a year and i have not has sex with my husband and he is cheating with other women so i want out

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/29/2016
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

What state is this in regards ***** *****?

louisiana
are you still here?

Yes; thank you for your patience as I researched this for you. I am preparing a response now after reviewing the information.

So in LA there are two types of annulment:

1. absolutely null, in which case the marriage is void, as a matter of law. This would be for example, bigamy.

2. relatively null, in which case the marriage can be declared judicially void. This would include lack of consent (ie an arranged marriage), one party fundamentally misrepresents themselves, one party is or becomes mentally incapacitated of substantial impairment, one party is unable or unwilling to consummate the marriage.

All of these give rise to an action for annulment.

The idea is that marriage is a contract, and misrepresentation or failure to consummate is a breach of that contract.

More can be read about it here:

http://digitalcommons.law.lsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6132&context=lalrev

A divorce attorney would typically handle the process.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly
-Rate Positively-
This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!