Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am filing in ***** ***** but do not know the location of…

Customer Question
Good Morning. My name...

Good Morning. My name is***** am filing for divorce in ***** ***** but do not know the location of my spouse (I believe he is in Alabama). We have been separated since 12/20/2014. Is his signature required to file in ***** *****?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Do I have to have his signature on the divorce documents before I file them in court? (Uncontested)

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/29/2016
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

What state is this in regards ***** *****?

Georgia

Thanks; a few minutes please as I look into this for you.

Thank you

Are there minor children?

one child

Thanks; just a few more minutes please.

Thank you for your patience.

So for an uncontested divorce, both parties need to be in agreement with regards ***** ***** issues, including division of property, spousal maintenance, child support, etc.

So typically the petitioning spouse would file the petition, along with the signed (by both parties) marital settlement agreement, and the Signed (by respondent) Acknowledgment of Service and Consent to Jurisdiction.

This allows the court to fast track the divorce, since the parties are in agreement.

If there is no marital settlement agreement, then the standard form is the contested divorce. There are grounds for contested divorce, but one may also contend "irreconciable differences".

The petitioner (the party initiating the action) must be a resident of the state for a minimum of 6 months; under the UCCJEA ( the federal child custody jurisdiction act) the state that has jurisdiction is the state where the child has resided for the past 6 months, as this is the only state that may enter orders re: the custody, visitation and support of the child

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly
-Rate Positively-
This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!

Are the forms different for the Contested divorce or do I submit the same forms but do not include the Marital Settlement Agreement?

They are different. Let me locate those.

thanks

These are the forms -

contested:

http://www.albany.ga.us/filestorage/1800/2889/3011/3518/4781/Divorce--Contested--Kids--2013.pdf

uncontested:

http://www.southernjudicialcircuit.com/selfhelp/divorce/divorcewithminorchildrenUN.pdf

Additional self help resources here:

http://www.georgialegalaid.org/issues/family-law-and-domestic-violence/marriage-and-divorce?channel=forms-and-tool-kits

If you found the above useful, kindly rate positively so my customer satisfaction scores remain high! This does Not result in additional fees. Thank you!

Thanks

You are most welcome!

And kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. Thank you!