Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My ex wife blackmailed me into the custody agreement we are

Customer Question
in. She knew some things...
My ex wife blackmailed me into the custody agreement we are in. She knew some things about me that could make me lose my job and or get me put in prison. She told me if I did not play nice during the divorce she would use this against me. I played nice because I was scared and did not know what else to do. As a result I get to see my kids every day I am free but I am scared she will make it every other weekend like the agreement says if I do something that upsets her and I dont "play nice" I know this is blackmail is there anything I can do? Couldnt she be in as much trouble for the blackmail? I love my kids I dont want to lose them and I dont want to fear if I make her mad that she has this power over me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
2/29/2016
Family Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

How long ago did you sign child custody / visitation agreement?

Are you willing to risk losing your job / criminal prosecution to raise the issue of blackmail against your ex?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
September was when the divorce was final. Its more I would lose my job over morality there was never anything ever done criminally but she is threatening to make it worse if she tells. I want to be with my kids without fear. I guess I my main question is if I took her back to court and she tried to "out me" and I proved she had been blackmailing me what might hypothetically could happen. If I lost my job ok but would she just get a slap on the hand or be put in her place.

Thank you for your follow up.

While I cannot comment on your specific situation, generally, when it comes to inter-spousal issues, such as duress or even blackmail when it comes to the child custody agreement, it is not likely that such situation would result in any type of criminal prosecution for the ex-spouse who might have engaged in the blackmail, but the court might take any new facts showing undue duress or blackmail related to the child custody agreement and might modify the child custody agreement, if the court finds such modification suitable under the law and in the best interest of the minor children.

It is very important in similar situation not to do anything without first consulting an retaining an experienced local child custody / family law attorney.

You can find an experienced and skilled local child custody law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com
www.martindale.com
www.lawyers.com
www.legalmatch.com
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to child custody law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter might be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law