Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My boyfriend and I are planning on getting married in July.

Customer Question
We are both active duty...
My boyfriend and I are planning on getting married in July. We are both active duty in the navy and we only have two weeks of leave and we are both station overseas. My question is, is there any way we can ask one of our family members to process our marriage license? And also, is there any way where we can make an appointment with the judge without the license yet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/28/2016
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

In which state are you planning to marry?

Kansas state
Will it be possible for our family members to process our marriage license while we are still overseas?

Thank you for the additional information.

Kansas law requires at least one party to the intended marriage be present to take out the license. If you have 2 weeks leave, that is plenty of time to take out the license. Then there is a 3 day waiting period, after which you are free to marry.

You can contact the clerk of the court to make an appointment with a judge to officiate.

Technically will only be in Kansas for 10 days.. Then we will have to go back overseas for a year. How long or how hard do you think it is to make an appointment to a judge? And with our situation can we make an appointment prior to the license?
Or can we give a special power of attorney to our family to process our marriage license?

Ten days is plenty of time to get the license, fulfill a 3 day waiting period and have a judge perform the ceremony. You sould not have any time constraint, as a judge will be available on a daily basis to officiate.

with that being said it won't be possible for us to have our family process our marriage license with the special power of attorney?

No. At least one of you must be present on person.