How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An ex-girlfriend is claiming that i am the father of her

Customer Question

an ex-girlfriend is claiming that i am the father of her child, but she refuses to cooperate with paternity testing. I have asked her to cooperate many times. I want to establish paternity before committing to any obligations relative to the child. I reside in Durham NC. How can I force her into cooperating.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there Chris -


You need to go to your local family court there in NC and request a hearing for paternity testing in this matter. If you go to the clerk's office there, they should have paperwork and forms that you can complete to summons her into court for a paternity test to establish the paternity of her child. You are probably better off if you make this court request because if she fails to show up for the DNA testing or any hearing on the matter and the DNA testing is not done, then the only way that she can claim paternity and child support is to turn around at a later date and summons you to court for child support and DNA testing. There really is no other way to force the issue except through a court order and if she fails to appear then there is nothing you can do about it except to ask the court to bar her from any claims against you until she has the paternity testing. However, by taking the matter to court yourself, you do establish that she is not entitled to any child support unless she takes the DNA testing (permits it for the child).


I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above this box to pay me for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right of the ratings section. Pressing a positive rating will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you today. THANK YOU VERY MUCH



Related Family Law Questions