How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm the mom of a 3 year old girl, her father has recently

Customer Question

I'm the mom of a 3 year old girl , her father has recently threatened to take me to court because I refuse to let him see her because I don't feel like he's capable of taking care of her . He has chocked me out in front of her before . He has 3 other children he currently don't have custody of an owes for child support now what do I need to do to get him to leave us alone .
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I will try to best answer your question.

I would recommend filing a temporary protective order based upon past physical abuse and current fear of future abuse. I would insist that he needs to attend anger management counseling and needs a full psychological evaluation as you believe he is suffering from a mental health disorder. If you also believe there is substance abuse issues then that must be raised.

You may not be able to prevent contact forever, but the best chance is to delay contact until he has established there is a safe environment for the same. You should also request any and all contact be supervised contact by a professional. The idea being you want the cost to be an impediment to exercising visitation.

Finally I would recommend contacting the other mothers to see if they would be willing to testify in your case regarding their experience with his behavior and interaction with children.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck.

Related Family Law Questions