Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

We live in Illinois. My husband of 21 years left me woman. I

Customer Question
We live in Illinois. My...
We live in Illinois. My husband of 21 years left me for another woman. I have been a stay at home mom until our separation. I've heard that Illinois law is that I would get 50% of his pension and 401k earned during our marriage automatically if I asked for it. Is that true.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
2/26/2016
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Generally speaking, yes. Pension plan money that accrue during the time of marriage are generally split equally between the parties during the divorce. This is because pension money is considered community property and is subject to division during a divorce.

NOTE that personal agreements or unusual property holdings by the parties that demand unorthodox divisions can amend that doctrine, however.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law