How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10201
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiancé's ex husband is being deployed year and they have

Customer Question

my fiancé's ex husband is being deployed for a year and they have 50/50 custody of their kids, while he is gone who would get custody of the kids in the state of Florida?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Is there a court order re: custody, or is this via informal arrangement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
court ordered
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

The court would be allowed to make a temporary order regarding the custody issues if that is not already addressed in the order.

The statute is located here:

Please notice subsection 2,

If a parent is activated, deployed, or temporarily assigned to military service on orders in excess of 90 days and the parent’s ability to comply with time-sharing is materially affected as a result, the parent may designate a person or persons to exercise time-sharing with the child on the parent’s behalf. The designation shall be limited to a family member, a stepparent, or a relative of the child by marriage.

As stated in the statute which can be viewed at the URL above, that designation must be in writing.

Courts are prohibited from permanently modifying a custody order when the parent's ability to continue as the child's primary caretaker is materially affected by deployment. Temporary modifications are permissible if supported by clear and convincing evidence that it's in the child's best interests. The court must reinstate the previous order when the parent is returns.

Temporary custody modifications must include provisions ensuring continuing contact between the child and military-parent, if feasible. (i.e. webcam, telephone, etc)

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly
-Rate Positively-
This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!