Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can a father who signed Acknowledgment of Paternity at

Customer Question
hospital Terminate his rights to...
Can a father who signed Acknowledgment of Paternity at hospital Terminate his rights to my son in Washington State?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/25/2016
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

How long after signing is the father seeking to terminate his rights?

.

.

thanks

He signed them on the day my son was born and he just turned two last week

Ok, then he can try to terminate his parental rights (TPR), but would have to do so through the court in a formal petition to terminate. But if his goal is to just stop paying child support, if he is the biological father then the court will normally not allow it because that could shift the burden for supporting the child onto the state. Normally the court will only allow a TPR if the custodial parent is seeking it and there is "Extreme parental disinterest" (i.e. no support or contact for years) or there is a stepparent adoption in the works.

.

If he doesn't feel that he is the bio father, he can file a paternity lawsuit any time before the child is 4 years old and seek a court ordered DNA test to confirm or disprove paternity. If he is not the bio father, then he would have his rights terminated.

.

.

thanks