How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm trying to find my birth parents and I only know their

Customer Question

I'm trying to find my birth parents and I only know their last name was Wilson. I think they are originally from Washington DC. I was adopted by Melvin Douglas Fortney and Sarah Ellen Simpson Fortney on my birthday November 23rd 1970 in Fairfax County Virginia through Christ Church adoption program in Alexandria VA. My given name is***** and I can provide my social security number. The only thing I have found so far in the record was that I was referred to as ""baby Wilson"". I think the record is sealed in Richmond Virginia and I don't know how to get it open.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At least I THINK my birth parents last name is Wilson (not 100% sure)
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If your parents were known to the adoption agency, then the court record of your adoption would reveal their names.....but you'd have to file a petition in that court for an order to open those files (as they're kept under seal) in order to see who your parents are. But, if your parents weren't identified by the adoption agency or in the court proceedings, it would be virtually impossible to determine this unless you can locate your original birth certificate (not the new one issued to your adoptive parents, but the original one from the hospital). That could be possible to do if the state still has those records......but you'd likely have to file suit and have a subpoena duces tecum issued to the state to determine if they even had your original birth certificate.