Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Can a mother tell her daughter no spring vacation visit, no

Customer Question

Can a mother tell her daughter no spring vacation visit, no brother goes to grandparents for the summer sailing and races. Her daughter is eighteen and has told her she does not have time before Graduation June 2016. Her mother has been threatening her in many ways. There has been a divorce 16 year old did not want to go to Tenn, stay with dad and grandparents.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If the daughter is 18, then the mother no longer has any right to tell the daughter what to do. And no custody orders apply anymore. At 18, the daughter is a grown up and can do whatever she wants.

So the mother can attempt to tell her no, but it is up to the daughter to decide what to do. Of course the daughter may wish to continue to have good relations with the mother, but not listening to the mother and any consequences of doing so - that is her choice. Legally, the daughter is an adult and can go wherever she wants.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!