Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

We have been married 4 years and reside in FL. My husband is…

Customer Question
We have been married 4...
We have been married 4 years and reside in FL. My husband is in the process of leaving the marital home and states he is intitled to all possessions, cars, trucks, furnishings because he paid for all. What are my rights as far as division of property"
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/24/2016
Family Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It doesn't matter who "paid" for them but when. Property in a divorce is first separated into marital and separate property. Marital property is divided in an "equitable manner", whereas separate property belongs to the person who owns it.

Property is separate if one spouse owned it before marriage or acquired it during marriage as a gift (not including gifts from the other spouse) or by inheritance. Separate property also includes:

• assets and debts a couple defines as separate property in a valid written agreement (a premarital agreement, for example)
  • income from separate property, unless the spouses have treated the income as marital property, by “commingling” it, for example (see below), and
  • items exchanged for or purchased with separate property

Unless a couple has a valid written agreement stating otherwise, marital property in Florida includes all assets and debts either spouse acquires during the marriage. It doesn’t matter if the property or debt is titled jointly or is only in one spouse’s name.

So if the property was acquired prior to the marriage by him, that would be his separate property. Any property that you acquired prior to the marriage would be yours. But if it was during the marriage, it would be presumed to be marital property, and he would not be "entitled" to it any more than you would be "entitled" to it.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

Hello?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~1 HOUR) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

I see that you still have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!