Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I got divorced in August. During mediation my former spouse…

Customer Question
I got divorced in August...
I got divorced in August. During mediation my former spouse proposed a settlement for pension benefits. I was married for 19 years and my spouse works at Boeing. I only received 50K in a QDRO. Prior to my divorce I had survivor benefits if that means anything. I was ROBBED. I read that even if a QDRO is in place you can appeal in some states. Doyou know if that is true in Washington and for Boeing? If there is any possibility to expolore this further I would like to. My former spouse put in 25% into his VIP while married to me due to my income. I was very poorly represented at mediation and my attorney was not prepared or interested. It is very unfortunate as it affects the remainder of my life.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/24/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If this happened in August, unless you can prove fraud or misrepresentation or failure to disclose an asset, WA will not revisit an agreement between the parties on the QDRO. So, you would need to prove he failed to disclose something or committed some fraud in getting you to sign. Otherwise, you are stuck with the agreement and would have to consider possibly suing your attorney for malpractice if you can prove that he did not do a proper job to zealously represent your best interests. But other than going after the attorney potentially for malpractice I am afraid that the court will not reopen this type of agreement.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer