How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I owe child support and get marry and the only income is

Customer Question

If I owe child support and get marry and the only income is from my future husband. Does he need to pay child support for this child ? or Income from my husband is consider mine too and for this reason my husband will need to pay child support? The child support is an issue prior to marriage. Please advise me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Mercedes,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While your future husband cannot be forced to pay child support for you, you can't simply quit working and expect the court to order that you no longer have to pay support. The court will impute income to you based on what you could earn if you were willing to work and you will be ordered to pay child support based on that imputed income.

Now, you could get the money from your new husband to pay the support order but the court cannot take the money from him or force him to pay on your behalf. Though if you choose not to pay you could be held in contempt of court, and once the arrears of support reach $2500 you would likely lose your passport, if you have one.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,