How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11806
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter in North Wilkesboro, NC needs help. She has no

Customer Question

My daughter in North Wilkesboro, NC needs help. She has no money. She was a stay-at-home mom for 18 years. Her husband did not want her to work. He supposedly made 6 figures, and has supported his family. She knew nothing about their finances because he often did things in only his name. Now he has set it up so his pay is deposited into their joint account, then immediately diverted to an account in only his name, sometimes leaving as little as $50 a week for her use in filling the car with gas, buying groceries and dog food, and anything else she may need. He has been living with various friends. She can't even go to the bank and ask about the status of their mortgage because the bank will not tell her anything. Besides a five-bedroom house, they also own an old mountain cabin which I have been told is so deteriorated because of lack of care and vandals that it should be torn down. This is a very small town with unusual customs, and everyone knows everyone else's business. No lawyer will represent her. (As I told you this is a very small town.) All lawyers demand up front fees, even before they speak with her. I assume this is for two reasons: 1. They know her husband and his financial situation and they assume they will not get paid otherwise. 2. Her husband has convinced all the lawyers in the area that she is insane and they should disregard her. How can I get help for her? I live in South Bend, Indiana. I am old and live on Medicare. Obviously, I can't help her with the fees.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.
I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Related Family Law Questions