Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter in North Wilkesboro, NC needs help. She has no…

Customer Question
My daughter in North Wilkesboro...
My daughter in North Wilkesboro, NC needs help. She has no money. She was a stay-at-home mom for 18 years. Her husband did not want her to work. He supposedly made 6 figures, and has supported his family. She knew nothing about their finances because he often did things in only his name. Now he has set it up so his pay is deposited into their joint account, then immediately diverted to an account in only his name, sometimes leaving as little as $50 a week for her use in filling the car with gas, buying groceries and dog food, and anything else she may need. He has been living with various friends. She can't even go to the bank and ask about the status of their mortgage because the bank will not tell her anything. Besides a five-bedroom house, they also own an old mountain cabin which I have been told is so deteriorated because of lack of care and vandals that it should be torn down. This is a very small town with unusual customs, and everyone knows everyone else's business. No lawyer will represent her. (As I told you this is a very small town.) All lawyers demand up front fees, even before they speak with her. I assume this is for two reasons: 1. They know her husband and his financial situation and they assume they will not get paid otherwise. 2. Her husband has convinced all the lawyers in the area that she is insane and they should disregard her. How can I get help for her? I live in South Bend, Indiana. I am old and live on Medicare. Obviously, I can't help her with the fees.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/23/2016
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.
I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?