Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son had a conviction 15 years ago. No problems since.

Customer Question
My son had a conviction...
My son had a conviction 15 years ago. No problems since. Paid back person $1500 he owed. He was offered a good job with Disney. He was denied because of this past conviction. He needs a job to support himself but is discriminated against because of his past. This job is in the media field and he is good at it and has no relation to the theft. He is a college grad who paid his debt to society. Is he to be condemned to a life of poverty and denied a right to earn a living?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/23/2016
Family Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 2 years ago
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney

I am sorry to hear this.

In which State was he convicted?

Was it a felony or a misdemeanor?

This happened in California. It was a felony.

Did he serve time in a state prison?

He spent less than a week in state prison.

Please clarify what the sentence was. I have never heard of a 1 week sentence to state prison.

Are you sure he was in prison and not County jail?

He was in LA County Jail and then they sent him to prison. Yes he was there less than a week and sent home on a bus.

You need a local attorney to figure out what exactly happened, but your son is eligible either for a dismissal or a certificate or rehabilitation and pardon, see

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1070.htm

He can get a free consultation from some of the attorneys listed by location here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.

Ely, Counselor at Law