How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118634
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The child I pay child support was sent to juvenile detention

Customer Question

The child I pay child support was sent to juvenile detention and obtained his GED last year but turns 18 in April, should I not have to pay since he got his GED
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he is no longer in high school, but is not 18 yet, you need to pay support until he pays 18, unless your court order says otherwise. The court will mandate child support until 18 and since he has finished High School with his GED, then in April when he is 18 support ends unless your court order says something else. Texas law says support ends at 18 OR may continue longer if the child is still in high school, so you have to pay until he is 18 in April.