Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Wondering if I can sue mistress in NJ of affection, Mistress…

Customer Question
Wondering if I can...

Wondering if I can sue mistress in NJ for alienation of affection

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Mistress for years and also had child

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/22/2016
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. Can you tell me, did the adultery take place in NJ? ANd the mistress lives there?

Presumably stays with a relative in nj
I believe it has taken place in nj

Thank you
I ask because where the activities took place would be a potential for jurisdiction.

NJ law does not allow an "alienation of affection" lawsuit. There are only a handful of states in the US that do permit this. NJ is not one. So if she lives in NJ and the adultery took place there? You can not sue her

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can sue her, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.