Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have been married 38 years. I have had the same

Customer Question
housekeeper for 22 years. I...
I have been married 38 years. I have had the same housekeeper for 22 years. I recently found out she is having an affair with my husband. Is it possible that I can sue her. for this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/22/2016
Family Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Ii would like to start out by saying, my thoughts are with you during which i can only assume is a very emotional process for you. I'm sorry for the situation you are in, nobody should go through that. Only 7 states still have alienation of affection laws on the books which allow a wife (or husband) to sue a third party (male or female) for “willful and malicious interference” in the couple’s marriage. The 7 states that allow alienation of affection lawsuits are: Hawaii, Illinois, Mississippi, New Hampshire, North Carolina, New Mexico, South Dakota, and Utah. Since Maine is not included in these states it is unlikely that you would have a cause of action unfortunately.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site. Thank you in advance.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?