How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37675
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My granddaughter told her babysitter something which

Customer Question

My granddaughter told her babysitter something which resulted in her calling the police. Her mother and father are getting a divorce. That was 3 days ago and the father still does not what is going on. He has a lawyer and they won't tell him. Is there someway to find out. It's in a different parish so if we went to the courthouse where it was filed could we find out.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Donna,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your family's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I've not only been an attorney for more than 30 years but I am also a former law enforcement officer.

Given that the child was not immediately taken to the hospital or doctor and there is no indication of physical injury, and based on the way that the detective is talking, I must presume that there is an excellent chance that the baby sitter told the police that the father sexually molested your granddaughter.

Because this is an ongoing criminal investigation the police are under no legal obligation to explain to the father the nature of the investigation, and no way for his attorney to find out either.

The police do not have the legal ability to tell the father to stay away from his child and so I must also presume that children's services is likely involved and they do have the ability to prevent him from seeing his daughter.

You asked: It's in a different parish so if we went to the courthouse where it was filed could we find out. There would be nothing filed at the courthouse unless and until the police choose to file criminal charges. This is still apparently early 9in the investigation stage and the court will not be immediately involved.

You wrote that the detective lead him to assume it was not anything to do with him. I think that was to throw the father off the track---it was essentially just a lie. Police generally have absolutely no problem with advising parents of an ongoing criminal investigation involving their own child unless the parent is either a person of interest or a suspect. The fact that he was told that he can't see his child is a huge red flag telling me that he is at minimum a person of interest in this crime---but more likely than not, an actual suspect at this point.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Donna,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,


Related Family Law Questions